Friday, May 22, 2009

Halloween Costumes and Lederhosen in South Korea

Here's the question:

Hey,

do you know where I can buy lederhosen in seoul? Or maybe a good seamstress?

thanks in advance,

britt


Awesome. This easily is the best question I have ever gotten. Ever. I'm not too sure what to make of this question. I mean, it's May still, so unless you're really prepping for Halloween, I just can't think of why anyone would need NEW lederhosen while in Korea. Still, I'll try to help...

Of course, I'm not too sure where you could buy lederhosen in Seoul. The only place would be Itaewon and they don't have any Bavarian stores in the area. So, assuming you're not looking for top quality hosen, I think Halloween stores might be your best bet. I personally do not know of any Halloween stores. Most expats here try to be really creative and make their own, but I did find this forum (and this one too) which discusses some options.



From Daves...

There's a store called Halloween near Sadang Station. From exit 14, walk straight out quite a bit more than 50 meters till you get to the part of the sidewalk with the wall along your left side. Continue to the three-way intersection (with the hospital on one corner). Turn left and immediately jink right down the first alley/sidestreet. Halloween (with orange sign) is about 20m down the sidestreet on your right, in the basement.

They also have a website here.

I don't know, but I have a feeling that most of the costume shops are going to be for kids, so if you really want nice lederhosen, your best bet is to go to any seamstress NORTH of the river (Gangnam will be too expensive), bring them a picture, some fabric and maybe even instructions in Korean and see what happens.

Other than that, I would consider buying it from an online vendor and shipping it to Korea. It'll probably save you money and a headache. When I taught kids, they always provided costumes through an online vendor.

If anybody has any questions, just send me an email at asktheexpat@yahoo.com or leave a comment.

3 comments:

Open Micah said...

I would also suggest contacting your hagwon. They usually have a catalog of rental costumes with a excellent selection of single-color spandex unitards.

The Expat said...

That they do.

Unknown said...

I just love these cool costumes !